Nurarihyon no Mago Chapter #2
Nurarihyon no Mago Episode #1
Anime, Manga and Game
Kappa (河童, Kappa; Literally meaning "River-child") is a Kappa yōkai of the Nura Clan whose domain is the fear of water. He is one of Rikuo's guardians who loves cucumbers and fights extremely well near water.
Originally part of Rihan's Hyakki Yakō, Kappa hid the former for a while after an attack by Sanmoto Gorōzaemon's assassins. He also kept Rihan updated on the situation as it progressed. Kappa was Rihan's loyal follower and is now part of Nura Rikuo's Hyakki Yakō.
AppearanceEditAppearing as a humanoid yōkai, the white plate over his head is so large as to look like a hat. Kappa has slit-like eyes which are often shown closed and wears a ninja outfit complete with tabi boots. His hands have webbing between the fingers.
In his human guise, he has dark hair fashioned in the same style but slighty longer, and wears a pair of large headphones. His hands are still webbed, and he wears a simple shirt-and-pants middle school uniform.
Kappa is usually seen as calm and quiet. He is best described as the sort who "goes with the flow", but can be serious when battle situations arise. He is loyal to and respectful of Rikuo and enjoys having water poured over his head by the latter.
Weapons and AbilitiesEdit
Being a water yōkai, Kappa is adept at moving via water bodies, as well as fighting near water itself. He can manipulate water and his prowess in fighting makes him a formidable opponent for his Shikoku Hachijūhakki Yakō counterpart.
- Kappa Secret Ninja Art: Mizuchi Sphere (河童忍法秘伝・ミズチ玉, Kappa Ninpō Hiden, Mizuchidama) is a technique where Kappa creates a sphere of water and throws it at his opponent. Because the sphere is so big, it takes a while to create. As the sphere is utilized like a throwing weapon, there is also a possibility that the opponent will suffocate within the sphere after it is thrown at them.
- Kappa Ninja Art: Hidden Pond Bypass (河童忍法・通り抜け忍び池, Kappa Ninpō, Tōrinuke Shinobi Ike) is a technique used to move quickly from one place to another. By splashing a container of water on a surface, Kappa can create a watery portal which connects to a nearby pond. It closes after he passes through.
- He mainly listens to music from western countries.
- He sleeps in a river because when he wakes up, he finds it fun to figure out where it has taken him.
- In the anime, he is not among the yōkai who exchange sakazuki with Rikuo prior to the final battle with Shikoku's forces, though he is in the manga.
- He ranked 19th in both the first and second character popularity polls, with 155 and 157 votes, respectively.
- ↑ Nurarihyon no Mago Manga: Chapter 2, page 5
|Commanders||Nurarihyon • Rihan Nura • Rikuo Nura|
|Main House||Yuki Onna • Aotabō • Yōhime • Yamabuki Otome • Wakana Nura • Kubinashi • Kejōrō • Kurotabō • Setsura • Kappa • Jami • Nattō Kozō • Tōfu Kozō • Sannokuchi • Nuribotoke • Te no Me • Ko-oni • Takarabune • Karasu Tengu • Kobanbune • Nekome no Tsume • Crow Messenger Yōkai • Kuroumaru • Tosakamaru • Sasami • Fish Yōkai • Oboro-guruma|
|Members of Allied Clans||Gyūki • Jorōgumo • Zen • Rinko • Mokugyo Daruma • Hitotsume Nyūdō • Kusuritsubo • Taketsubo-kun • Gozumaru • Mezumaru • Negoro • Uwajima • Ryōta Neko • Saburō Neko • Shōei • Mottainai Obake • Sorobanbō • Ōmukade • Asajigahara no Kijo • Yomekko • Anta • Mitsume Yazura • Hagurobettari • Yamachichi • Nuregarasu • Oryō|
|Land Gods||Senba • Kokehime • Shirohebi • Iso no Kami|
|Deceased/Expelled Members||Gagoze • Kyūso • Hihi • Suguru • Tsubasa • Hōkō • Errand Rat Yōkai|